Chapter 13: Migrating to the Cloud
From a technical perspective, an application can be moved to the
cloud quickly. There are a myriad of cloud-solution providers who will
eagerly assist by giving you instant access to cloud-based servers, data
storage, and support. That said, like all IT projects, the process of moving
an application to the cloud, or the process of creating and deploying a new
cloud application, should be well planned. This chapter examines issues
that should be considered before you move an application to the cloud.
This chapter examines examines the process of moving applications to the cloud. By the time you finish this
chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Define requirements for migrating an application to the cloud.
- Describe the importance of backing up data before and after moving an
application to the cloud.
- Appreciate the benefit of using experienced consultants to assist with a
- Describe an application in terms of its resource use.
- Define and describe vendor lock-in and discuss ways to avoid it.
- Describe the importance of training employees before, during, and after a
- Describe the importance of establishing a realistic cloud-deployment
- Discuss key budget factors impacted by the cloud.
- Discuss potential IT governance issues related to the cloud.
- Define and describe cloud bursting.