Chapter 8: Virtualization
VIRTUALIZATION IS THE USE of hardware and software to create the
perception that one or more entities exist, although the entities, in actuality,
are not physically present. Using virtualization, we can make one
server appear to be many, a desktop computer appear to be running
multiple operating systems simultaneously, a network connection
appear to exist, or a vast amount of disk space or a vast number of
drives to be available.
This chapter examines examines virtualization in detail. By the time you finish this
chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Define and describe virtualization.
- Discuss the history of virtualization.
- Describe various types of virtualization.
- List the pros and cons of virtualization.
- Identify applications that are well suited, as well as those that are not
suited, for virtualization.
- Describe why companies should employ virtualization.