Chapter 6: Data Storage
in the Cloud
CHAPTER 4, “INFRASTRUCTURE AS a Service (IaaS),” examined the process
of using a service provider’s servers and data storage equipment.
Within the IaaS model, the customer is responsible for installing and
maintaining the software that runs on the platform. Chapter 4 introduced
the use of cloud-based data storage and databases.
This chapter examines examines cloud-based storage in detail. By the time you finish this
chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Discuss the role of storage-area networks.
- Discuss the role of network-attached storage.
- Describe cloud-based storage solutions.
- List the pros and cons of cloud-based storage.
- Describe cloud-based database solutions.
- List the pros and cons of cloud-based databases.
- Describe specific cloud-based data storage solutions such as backups and
encrypted file storage.
- Provide an example of an industry-specific cloud-based storage solution.