Chapter 3: Platform as
a Service (PaaS)
Platform as a service (PaaS) solutions provide a collection of hardware
and software resources that developers can use to build and deploy applications
within the cloud. Depending on their needs, developers may use a
Windows-based PaaS solution or a Linux-based PaaS.
Using PaaS, developers eliminate the need to buy and maintain hardware,
as well as the need to install and manage operating system and database
software. Because the computing resources no longer reside in the
data center, but rather in the cloud, the resources can scale up or down
based on application demand and the company can pay for only those
resources it consumes. Further, because PaaS eliminates the developersí
need to worry about servers, they can more quickly deploy their webbased
This chapter examines examines the PaaS model in detail. By the time you finish this
chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Define and describe the PaaS model.
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of PaaS solutions.
- List and describe several real-world PaaS solutions.
- List and describe cloud-based database solutions and describe their
- Discuss the development history that led to PaaS.